For the second time this season, LAFC were up against the LA Galaxy. For the second year in a row, the two sides met in the U.S. Open Cup, with a spot in the quarterfinals up for grabs. As many had expected, LAFC deployed a heavily rotated squad, with players like Carlos Vela and Denis Bouanga not even on the bench for selection in this one.

With the season not going at all how they had hoped, and going up against a relatively young squad, Galaxy came into this one with all the pressure, This is likely the only competition they will have a chance at a trophy in, and with regulars on the bench getting rest for LAFC, this was a prime opportunity to get past one of the tougher sides left. Despite the inexperience, the black & gold came out the same as they always do, applying pressure and peppering the goal.

The home side tallied 11 shots in the first half, with four finding their target. They kept less possession, but for the most part it definitely felt like the kids did well to control the match in the first half. The scariest moment came in the 35th minute, when Galaxy were awarded a penalty. However, LAFC keeper Eldin Jakupovic has really made a name for himself in this tournament, and he built on the legend with a massive save, keeping the match scoreless.

Going into the halftime break scoreless, gave a huge boost to the youngsters for LAFC. Despite the circumstances, they had done more than just hold their own. Not only keeping the visitors off the scoresheet, but doing well to threaten themselves. Now, they just had to keep it up.

The visitors must have had the best halftime speech mixed with a swig of Michael’s Secret Stuff, because the G’s came out for the second half a completely different side. Coming into the match off the bench, Tyler Boyd wasted no seconds in making his mark. In the 49th minute he lit a rocket and sent it right at LAFC’s goal. The ball was sent streaking past Jakupovic, for the lead early in the final 45.

The visitors weren’t done, taking only a few minutes before doubling their lead. Riqui Puig decided to take on several LAFC defenders himself, cutting past and finding just enough room for the shot. There was just enough on it to trickle past the LAFC keeper, for the 0-2 lead, and what looked like a ticket punched to the quarterfinals.

The haymakers out of the gate to start the second half were all LA Galaxy needed to knock LAFC out the match, and out of the tournament for the second year in a row. It won’t be the historic treble for the black & gold this year, as it was clear they chose which tournament they would focus on fully. Now, with eight days to recover and prepare, this loss better prove worth it with a first leg win in Mexico.


Thoughts on the match tonight? Leave a comment below!

Leave A Reply

Angels on Parade